On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 09:56:30AM -0600, Michael Siepmann wrote:
> On 08/09/2016 08:09 AM, Aaron Wolf wrote:

> >> A % fee max, rounded to the nearest pretty dollar amount, seems
> >> like the way to go to me. 15% / $2 seems reasonable to me.
> >>
> > I agree that 15% fee is the maximum fee, seems sensible enough,
> > and that makes it processor-neutral. I don't agree with Stephen's
> > idea of rounding to nearest dollar, that's far too low resolution.
> > I think just rounding to nearest cent is fine.
> >
> 15% seems high to me.

There are three things being discussed here, so I want to provide
space to think about them separately.

First, which I think we all agree about: the fee percentage should be
calculated against the total charge, and not against the crowdmatch
subtotal. (Michael, I provided both ratios for comparison, but
"fee/total" was the one I was referring to with my proposed 15%. Sorry
I didn't make that clear.)

Second, what should that percentage be? I have no strong opinion. We
have +3 for 15% and +1 for 10%, but 15% is benefiting from the
primacy principle. Are there any other votes, or changes of heart?

Finally, how is the minimum sensible pledge displayed: as a dollar
amount, or as a ratio? I think it's clear that the amount should be
*calculated* as a ratio, but I'm not certain that *displaying* it as a
ratio is best. But I don't actually know. Any opinions here?

I'm personally partial to dollar amounts because it provides an
(algorithmic) level of indirection. If we say we charge <=10%, and
then Stripe changes its fees faster than we can adapt, we'd be lying.
But if we say, "We won't charge you for amounts less than 2 bucks",
that's totally within our control. We would simply use the ratio as a
rough guide for future corrections.