Hello,

I would like to +1 Matt's comment.  I don't really see how you would
do without this very natural, gradual, beneficial process.

I know people who have attended, helped and sometimes instructed at
several workshops but haven't taken the instructor training program
(yet).  So when/if they become Software Carpentry instructors, I think
the transition will be pretty smooth...

As a new instructor, I don't see how you would want to read a
guide/manual rather than helping at real workshops, because that's
when you start feeling useful and you learn a lot and you're not alone
and that's a great experience. :)

Marianne