On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:05 AM, Ethan White <et...@weecology.org> wrote:
1. I agree with Greg and others that, in general, choosing not to
participate in workshops at certain locations due to ethical concerns
should primarily be the choice of individual instructors regarding whether they want to teach or not, not a broader SCF decision on whether to run the
workshops at all.
2. I like the idea of a split fee structure for for-profit vs. non-profit
groups. I understand Greg's point about rich vs. poor, but that's more
difficult to handle (e.g., what are we measuring to represent wealth,
what's the dividing line, should it be a sliding scale, etc.). My general
feeling is that any extra funds from for-profits (or rich) institutions
should go to SCF rather than the instructors, at least until SCF is on a
very firm financial footing.
I agree with Ethan and many of the folks here and Marianne's point in particular about the difference between for-profit and not-for-profit being the important distinction because of the difference in mission. The next question is whether there should be a different fee structure for the two groups. Different fee structures does seem to be standard practice, even for conference attendance, so this seems reasonable to pursue and the Steering Committee can work to set those rates, with feedback from the community.

I also agree that community members can decide whether to teach these workshops or not. If we are asking people to teach them on a volunteer basis, they can decide whether it's worth their time. If it's seen as an opportunity to network or get exposure to more corporate environments and therefore worth time away from their other work, then people will volunteer to teach. If there is a different fee structure, then teaching these workshops could be also be seen as a contribution to SWC as a whole, since the volunteer will be contributing to the financial sustainability of the organization. If it's not seen as worthwhile from a personal or organizational perspective, then we won't be able to get instructors, and in that case we would have to re-evaluate whether or not to accept these workshop requests.

The point of self-organizing workshops and charging market rate fees is another issue. Since the materials are CC-BY, there's nothing to prevent this. There does maybe need to be a clearer policy of whether these workshops can be called Software Carpentry or not (I believe under current guidelines it can since Software Carpentry labeled workshops just need to use the materials and have one trained instructor) and that can be a part of the policy the Steering Committee works to propose, again with community feedback.

It's been great to see the community engagement in this discussion as SWC is being opened up to new possibilities, and we have to think about how best to handle these new opportunities.

-Tracy