Hi all,

Greg just contacted me and suggested that I might want to participate in this
discussion, as I've been discussing another provenance tool with him
(a Software Carpentry blog post will be coming shortly).

The tool is called 'recipy' [1] and is described in more detail in my blog
post [2]. It's Python-only at the moment, and uses low-level hooks in Python
to capture all input and output, as well as lots of information about the
environment. Unlike many other tools (eg. sumatra, and - it seems - noWorkflow),
it doesn't require scripts to be run through another tool, it can work just
by placing 'import recipy' at the top of the code.

I presented this recently at EuroSciPy 2015 (video should be coming soon),
and people seemed quite keen on it.

If anyone has any feedback on this tool, or would like to discuss it more, then
I'd
be very keen to hear your ideas. I've always thought that provenance tracking
should come somewhere in the SWC syllabus, but it hasn't happened yet...
Hopefully
the development of tools like sumatra, noWorkflow and recipy will help make
this easier to teach, and easier for general scientists to use.

cheers,

Robin

[1] https://github.com/recipy/recipy
[2]
http://blog.rtwilson.com/introducing-recipy-effortless-provenance-tracking-with-python/

Hi Raniere,

You forgot to attach the link, but I guess you meant this project [1].

We have developed similar project, called sumatra, to track provenance
for python and non-python projects [2,3]

Sumatra has been used so far in neural modelling and data analysis, but
I am not aware of any reports describing use of sumatra in real world
projects. Perhaps, you could contact the main developer, Andrew Davison
(in cc), who might be able to provide you with more information.

Yours,

Bartosz

[1]https://github.com/gems-uff/noworkflow
[2]http://pythonhosted.org/Sumatra/
[3]https://osf.io/rc5jf/

Hi everyone,

during last Spring I watched one talk from João Felipe, in copy,
about his M.S. project noWorkflow [1] that is under MIT license and
briefly

    aims at allowing scientists to benefit from provenance data
analysis even
    when they don't use a workflow system.

João contacted me because he is looking for open science projects
under developing that he could use as examples for noWorkflow
or that are interested in testing noWorkflow (I'm sure that he will be
happy
to help you doing it as easy as possible if this is the case).

Since I think that many people in this list could be interested
in João's project I'm sending this email.
You can contact João directly.

Cheers,
Raniere