Dear Ashwin,

On 03/09/2016 01:15 PM, Ashwin Trikuta Srinath wrote:
Hi Peter - great post(s)! In case you haven't seen them already, lot of
great arguments have been made here [1] about why teaching testing may/may
not be a good idea in our workshops.

Yes, I read this post a long time ago. And I know that Greg initiated a project on testing but that didn't receive too much attention. Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm in favour of teaching testing - even if it is in the style of the
regression tests you mentioned. But I'm not so sure about unit tests, or
even if application code built on libraries can/should be "unit" tested.

Well, I would very emotionally start arguing against this. As unit tests are my day-to-day tool that I use for application and for library code and they have rescued my !*&^% multiple times. As most of my tasks involve accelerating applications, I always say no speed-up is of use if the results are wrong.
But maybe I don't see your point, can you please elaborate!

Can you give us some examples of the type of unit tests that you found? Did
you see a "theme" in the unit tests presented by both groups?

[1]

Not really, I know that the planet hunters basically had a pipeline to go through for each image (or data set) they wanted to process. I think they wrote unit tests for each step. For the others, I cannot say. I am currently waiting for more material from the hackathon to come online. If you want, I can provide a follow up as I am intrigued by this question as well.

Best,

Peter Steinbach, Dr. rer. nat.
Scientific Software Engineer, Scientific Computing Facility

Scionics Computer Innovation GmbH
Löscherstr. 16
01309 Dresden
Germany

phone +49 351 210 2882
fax   +49 351 202 707 04
www.scionics.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Dresden (Main office)
Amtsgericht - Registergericht: Dresden HRB 20337 (Commercial Registry)
Ust-IdNr.: DE813263791 (VAT ID Number)
Geschäftsführer: John Duperon, Jeff Oegema (Managing Directors)