My usual response to the question of "what programming language should I
learn?" is:

* Python or R, because those are the two languages being used by many
  computational scientists, being actively developed, and with rich
  existing ecosystems of libraries and tutorials;

* choose between them based on your local friendly help - if you have
  a lot of R folk down the hall, learn R, and vice versa;

* once you know one, you can pick up another language much more easily than
  you might believe;

cheers,
--titus

C. Titus Brown, ctbr...@ucdavis.edu