(i.e., is it doing more harm by obfuscating the mechanics of the underlying
tool)?
This definitely can happen, especially when an IDE has a git plug-in (so not
specifically talking about GitHub desktop). Clarity can be restored when using
the command line to unpick the mess. There are sometimes buttons to click such
as "synchronise". You can guess at what they might do, but it's not always
really clear.

I'd be interested to hear how the lesson goes!