Please don't think that I'm a hardcore pedant, but... SWC, in fact, teaches
Command Line Interface (CLI), not just some abstract "Shell" (to teach "Shell",
we'd have to unset PATH). And CLI comes hand-in-hand with
REPL<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read%E2%80%93eval%E2%80%93print_loop>. If
you abstract away from "human vs. computer" thing, each "party" in REPL waits
for some input from the other party, processes it and provides feedback. So,
there is a continuous feedback loop that is built into CLI. This is, in my
opinion, the true beauty of CLI. Toyota and others have to enforce this
feedback loop (to stay competitive, lower prices, "improve").

What we (humans) decide to do with the free time we get as a benefit from using
computers - is totally up to us. We could use it to do some "important work"
(e.g. improve Unix toolset)... or think about abstract things as an exercise to
the brain 🙄. The latter exercise is what computers can't do. Yet.

Maxim

On Mar 25, 2018, at 11:14, Andrew Francis