On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:27 PM Raniere Silva <rani...@rgaiacs.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> a slightly left field suggestion: maybe use something like thebelab or
>
> juniper to make the code examples executable (and automatically generate
>
> output)?
>

> Having it editable and runnable from the browser is an anti-feature for you
>
> but maybe the same snippet of JS can be used to just do the automatic
>
> execution with editing disabled.
>

> I didn't completely understand what you are suggesting. I think that
> editable and runnable from the browser is a nice features for
> package/library documentation due different reasons. For me, it doesn't fit
> the audience of The Carpentries that, on average, is novice "research
> software engineers" who should get confidence typing their code instead of
> click in the browser and see something running. And we know some people
> print the lesson so provide a printable version based on automatically
> generate output done in the web browser would be more challenge.

The idea was that you could use one of the libraries (or build something on
top of them) that will run the code for you and display the output without
having to have the lesson authors copy&paste the output by hand.

So it isn't about having users click things and run lessons from the
webpage (if you don't want to) just piggy backing on the tech to
automatically generate the output. Printing shouldn't be a problem if you
can get someone with a bit of CSS experience to help you make sure the
right CSS spells are invoked.