Hi John,

You were asking for studies showing the adoption of open source.
This might be helpful.  It shows that:

Summary
It's not just on servers that Linux adoption is now rampant: the
overall Linux solution stack is also growing, and growing fast.
According to a new IDC study, announced yesterday by OSDL, the
combined Linux market - desktops, servers, and packaged software
running on Linux - will exceed $35 billion by 2008, with $10
billion of that coming from Linux PC sales.

http://www.linuxworld.com/story/47529.htm

I hope that this helps.  Feel free to call if you need anything
else.  Also, info like this will appear periodically on my website:

http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com

Christian Einfeldt
415-351-1300