On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 15:09 -0600, Peter Kupfer wrote:

> What is beginning to baffle me, is why we even have file titles. They
> serve no purpose other than as a field, and we already have a field tool.

I have not researched this, but I've got my theory. I think you will
not like it though:

1. We've got titles because MS Word has them

2. MS Word has titles because once upon a time, when competing
   products to Windows had long filenames with spaces, and without
   ugly extensions, Microsoft wanted to have a stop-gap solution
   to help users who were confused when they had hundreds of documents
   named LETRRAL.DOX, LETR1V2.DOC, NEWLETR.DOC or similar. Therefore
   they came up with "Document Titles".

> This is a place where we could easily and practically eliminate a
> preference or option.

Any day ; )

(unfortunately I think they are needed for Word interoperability
nowadays)

/ralph
--
Rettet die Wale und stÃrzt das System, und trennt euren MÃll,
denn viel Mist ist nicht schÃn!