Christian Einfeldt wrote:

> WRT to number four, I can't believe that someone would guess my
> passwords.  They are events in my life that no one but me knows
> about.  How would anyone guess that?  Even now that I have
> announced it to the world?  Heh.

Easy.

1) Start by running it through a dictionary including every word in
English, Spanish and French. This would include the names of people,
cities, countries, etc.

If your password can be obtained through this method, you're screwed.
A computer will find it in 2 minutes.

2) Then go through the list again making simple changes to the
entries like various capitalizations, revernsing the letters, adding
or removing a few letters, or modifying a few letters.

If your password can be obtained through this method, you would be
only a mildly inconvenient target. The attacker would have to go out
for lunch while the computer finds your password.

3) Then try quasi-random collections of characters that still bear a
resemblance to English phonetics. For example, "wasnunco".

If your password can be guessed with this method, you are still
screwed.

The system Smoot recommended is good, and is popular advice. Think of
a phrase that you can remember easily. For example, let's use the
phrase "Christian loves Wednesday night baseball"

Start using the first letter of each word:

   clwnb

Change the capitalization to something you'll remember.

  ClWnb

Add your favourite 3-digit number at the end. For example, I like 144
because it's 12 squared.

  ClWnb%144

Notice I added a character to separate them.

Then replace 'b' for "baseball" by ! because it looks like a basemall
bat.

  ClWn!%144

This would be a suitable password for most applications. Though I
woudln't use it for my banking account.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | Rigorous reasoning from inapplicable
Join OOoAuthors today!  | assumptions yields the world's most