Here are some classic quotes from this interview, including a few
full-on belly laughs.  (Hint: keep your eyes open for the dancing
monkeys!)  Ya gotta love it.  Congrats, Adam!

AD = Adam Doxtater.

AD: [snip...]  We take in a lot of feedback from our visitors.

NF: And how does that relate to Linux?

AD: We've created something that has formed a legitimate community
of great people. If Linux, and Mad Penguin, is the one thing that
can bind people of differing backgrounds, religion, or political
views, then I want to be the one helping to tie the knot. Linux and
open source as a whole promote many of the finer qualities we all
have: leadership, motivation, teamwork, and charity without the
promise of monetary other other material gain.

[snip....]

NF: How does a site like Mad Penguin acquire staffing?

AD: It's actually an amazing thing. The short answer is that the
staff comes to me. For the most part people seem to just want to be
a part of it all. But that's open source, right? Much of what you
see today was directly contributed by our readers through
suggestion. Mad Penguin essentially has a core cast, if you will,
and they keep it going. Fred Blaise is one of the people who simply
lived and breathed Mad Penguin. He's my right-hand man. Then
there's Narayan Newton, another devoted Mad Penguin member turned
sysadmin. He's been our FreeBSD guru since we've moved over to the
new system.

NF: So have you met all of the people you work with on Mad Penguin?

AD: Personally? In person? God no! I'm a recluse! I can't even go to
Wal-Mart without being sedated! Actually I've met Fred, Narayan,
James (of course), and another member from the site named Grigg.

snip....

NF: Are there any comical things that have happened on the site that
you wouldn't mind sharing?

AD: You mean that are fit to print? As a matter of fact, we were
laughing about some of this stuff the other day. We considered
making a quotes page of all the off-color and funny things people
have done and said on the site.

Here's one for you. We had published a review of -- SUSE I think it
was -- anyway, there was some jerkoff that kept posting derogatory
shit on the review and it was totally unwarranted. We blocked his
IP address after he'd been warned several times. After a short
while he came back with a different address touting that he could
use any one of several thousand addresses. I don't go for that kind
of shit at all, so I checked the origin of both IPs he used, traced
them both back to Deutsch Telecom, and closed the Mad Penguin
servers their entire IP block. That shut him up pretty quickly!
Since that day it's been kind of a running joke in the Mad Penguin
camp. Why ban one person when you can ban him and his entire
continent to prove your point? Kind of sums up the Mad Penguin
philosophy doesn't it? Why do it big if you can do it bigger and
with dancing monkeys?