Hi Eugen,

Welcome!

> BOOOORING. OK, let's get to that part that may be of any interest
> to anyone. The ideas.

Actually, there are some people who have complained that the OOo
lists are too corporate, so having personal info is definitely a
good thing.

> 1) FAST
> ----------
> OpenOffice.org 1.x is terribly slow.

That is true, and everyone knows it, and it is being worked on.
OOo2.0 is supposedly going to be faster.

> Unfortunately I've found it too slow even when all I'm running
> are 2 open documents, a browser and XMMS (audio player). Now
> don't get me wrong but I always expect more from open source then
> I do from proprietary systems. Which is why I expect OOo 2.0 will
> NOT force me into an upgrade but actually run faster then its
> older brother.

+1

But, it's a matter of developers and money.  Do you know any
developers?  I'm guessing from your bio that you don't have any
extra money to spare.  Me neither.  Bummer.   :-/   Oh well, we
give what we can when we can how we can.

> 2) SIMPLE
> -------------
> Don't get me the wrong way or anything. Contrary to popular
> belief I actually don't consider myself an idiot. I may not be
> the brightest fellow on a radius of 100 miles but I don't think
> I'm dumb as a rock either. The truth is 75% of OOo's users only
> use about 10% of what the menus offer.

+1

This is also true.  However, not everyone uses the same 10%, and
IMHO, the community would like to have OOo be the robust open
source office suite.  That means features.  There is always
AbiWord, Koffice, etc.  Those are great open source office tools,
but OOo is not them.  So, it seems that we are faced with a choice.
Features or small footprint.  That is the beauty of open source,
though, we have lots of choices.  But I personally don't see OOo
getting smaller.
> Another thing. Many of OOo's users(I dare say most though I may
> be mistaken) are converted MS Office or KOffice users. Now a
> whole new bunch of very complicated menus is going to mean their
> learning curve will be a bit more steep. If you're home user this
> is no problem, you do this in your spare time and that's it. But
> as a company, if you come to find migration is too costly in
> respect to time and that you're actually losing money instead of
> winning you won't migrate.

I have been working with local governments in my region, and more
than one of them have said that the OOo GUI is a no-brainer for MSO
(microsoft office) users.  I agree.  Maybe that's just me.  And
him.  And her.  And a couple others.  Heh.

> OK. Now here are a few ideas. (It's kinda late but there's always
> OOo 3.0 :) ) Let's look at the open-source world out there and
> see who the real successful folks are. Firefox is by far, the
> best example of successful OSS out there. And just as OOo they've
> been getting users through migration rather then new users. Of
> course they would have never made it if their app wasn't stable
> and secure (which are 2 of OOo's pluses as well) but there was
> another thing that really got them millions of users worldwide in
> an amount of months.

We have more users than Ff.  OOo does a bigger job than Ff.  Also, I
have found Ff to be twitchy occasionally.  Ff is good, and I often
use it on SuSE and Linspire, but I actually prefer Moz or Konq.

> everything else can be implemented as plugins, I don't need them
> and exporting should be in the same menu with saving anyway.

Maybe this will work later, after OOo has 75% market share, and
hoards of developers are popping up on the dev list every day.  But
for now, it seems like you might like AbiWord or Koffice better.
I'm not suggesting that your ideas don't have merit.  Instead, it
seems impractical at this time, IMHO.

> Everything else should be a plugin.

Have you tried tweaking your menus?  I know that it is possible for
the end user to tweak lots of stuff in OOo.

> Now of course I could extend this to all other menu items (and in
> the unlikely event anyone wants me to I will :) ) but you get the
> point.

Hopefully, the GUI will get more and more tweakable as time goes by.
But that takes devs and money, or at least devs.  OOo is an end
user app.  Devs like tweaky stuff, not GUI oriented stuff.  So we
would really never have made it to where we are without Sun and now
Novell, to name two.  Say what you want about corporations, and I
am no worshipper of corporations, but I am eternally grateful to
Sun for OOo.  Personally.  I use OOo every day.  Can you imagine
trying to get OOo into place without Sun?  OOo is big now, and we
are slowly trying to move away from Sun and get more broad based
help.  Maybe you could dig up a few developers.

> a) Introduce Business Related Templates

Have you tried looking here for templates?

http://support.openoffice.org/

What else do you need?  Why not create it and submit it?

> b) Introduce an Office Collaboration Application

We have this feature.  Edit > changes > record and try also Insert >
note.

> The trick is not just to emulate what MS is doing but to actually
> go ahead of their game and see what offices really need, what
> common folks really need and go out there and fullfil those
> needs. That's what will get you laid, paid and used by millions
> worldwide :)

The issue of what features to include depends on who are our best
customers.  We have debate this a great deal in the past on this
list.  For example, you might wanna read this:

http://www.usenetarchive.org/Dir17/File524.html

Of course, your comments are important too, but you might wanna read
up on the discussions on this point in the past, as it will help
you to comment on past discussions.

> Now I'm not trying to bash OOo (hell, I use it). I suggest these
> because I firmly believe you can turn a good application into a
> memorable application that really changes the way people think
> about computers.

That will take lots of talking to achieve.  Please keep coming back
here and talking about it more.

> Sorry for my English, it's not my native language, I hope it was
> good enough for you to get the message anyway.

Your English is awesome.  I wish that I could speak a second
langauge as well as you speak English.

> Thanks for the (large amount of) time dedicated to reading this.

Welcome!  Please come back often.