Manolis Christodoulou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Imagine the situation whenI run a Firefox window with a java applet
> inside, an OOo Writer, and a GIMP instance at the same time under
> Windows XP. This is very common to people like me who prefere to use
> free software. How many graphics libraries do you think are up and
> running in my system then? I say 5!

Indeed. And that's what makes freedom of choice possible.

>From a technical point of view, one single unified graphics library
that is shared between all applications would possibly result in a
more efficient use of resources. But this is exactly what Windows is
(supposed to be), and I wouldn't call Windows lean on resources...

On a positive side: Mozilla and OpenOffice.org are now working closely
together and may some day start sharing their graphic libraries. These
libraries are based on Gtk, another sharing of resources.

-- Johan