On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 09:18, blabla wrote:
[snip]
> I was begging for a word count plus an indication of the cursor's in a
> row to be displayed in the status bar at the bottom.
[remainder snipped]
I am already playing with word counts in the status bar. I unfortunately
sent my message to the wrong list (I wish people wouldn't have their
reply to set - hint hint :)). In short what I am playing with is
displaying a custom status bar that displays word count information when
a single selection is made.

In the following questions I am not meaning to be awkward just trying to
work out how to implement what you want:

Why is it useful to have the "current cursor position" displayed in the
status bar?

What do you mean by position of the cursor, is it:
1. X and Y coordinates? By what measurement system (or selectable):
pixels, points, inches, cms ... ?
This would be easy to implement but I can't see any advantages in a
predominantly text document.

2. Number of characters from left margin (or right margin for right to
left text), and number of lines down the page?
I'm not sure why this would be useful either. If there was an object in
the paragraph that shifted the text right what position should be
displayed for number of characters from left edge? If a paragraph has
line spacing of say double, what value for number of lines down the page
should be displayed - 1 for each line of actual text or two? Regardless,
currently I don't think that this would not be easy to implement.

I.e. I would need very precise information about what is to be
displayed, and to make it high enough in my priority list good reasons
to implement it.

Thanks, Ian