Chad Smith wrote:

I will say this - OOo on Mac, the "official" port, the X11 port, is not installable
for the end user, and it really has some problems as far as usability and
appearance.

However, NeoOffice/J, which is based on OOo (Patrick has the copyright to
it) and is now mentioned on the OOo for Mac webpage, is *awesome*. It's
everything OOo on Mac should be. It runs natively - no stupid dependencies,
like X11. It's aquafied - so it *looks* like a Mac program. It doesn't
require a 3rd party program to be up and running, so it uses less RAM and
processor speed than the X11-OOo. And it's far less likely to crash, as
I had experienced with the X11 port, for the simple fact, the more stuff
you have to have open to get a program to work - the more things can go wrong.

NeoOffice/J is *THE* answer for Mac OS X users. You can get it here:

I've had a look at the page, and it looks interesting. The screenshots don't look that different from X11 OOo 1.1.x ... I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not. Yeah it's nice to have the native menus etc, and X11 is pretty painful under OS X, but I've got it running now ... more important for us soon will be the newer OOo 2.x releases - I've been trying them out under Win2k and Gentoo Linux, and we're getting *much* better rendering of Microsoft Office documents - the difference is very impressive. I don't suppose you know the plans for an OOo 2.x port of NeoOffice/J? It's probably a while away, right?

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer