On Monday 28 February 2005 20:07, Craig Adams wrote:
> Hi Christian, All,
>
> THe HP iCommunity in Limpopo has by all accounts been a roaring
> success in terms of how appropriate use of Free and Open Source
> Software can benefit a community and the local economy.

Hi Craig,

Would you like to talk about this topic on the Digital Tipping Point
forum?  We have a forum dedicated to tipping points, but so far it
has been a little bit sluggish.  In fact, very sluggish.  Just me
and one or two other people posting occasionally.  I basically have
been using the DTP forums as a place to invite people to express
their opinions on tipping, etc., the movie, our website, etc.  My
goal is to make that website (and the movie!) a discussion, not a
lecture.

On the other hand, if you don't want to post a note about the
success of the HP program and other FOSS stuff in ZA, maybe it
would be okay with you if I posted this email there?  IMHO, the
developing world will tip first, and the developing world is going
to be key to preserving freedom in cyberspace!  Without the
developing world, MS, Disney, and Comcast have a serious chance of
seriously restricting all three layers of the Internet (Code;
Content; and the Physical Layer).  So basically, it us up to Asia,
Africa, Latin America and Antarctica to save our butts!!!!

Of course, we in North America and Europe can also put up a fight,
and we are putting up a fight, but closed advocates are making up
some serious ground with the Fritz chip, Palladium, DMCA, USCITA,
DRM, etc.  Ultimately, I think that they will lose, simply because
of the market dynamics of modularity being "good enough", but it
could be a scary few years first.

I think that you folks will be amazed when the film comes out how
advanced FLOSS is in Extremadura Spain.  Microsoft is very very
weak there.  With major government officials expressing concern
about lockdown there, and with a very strong FLOSS industry there,
they are really really quite advanced on FLOSS on the desktop.

Thanks either way.