Bernd Eilers wrote:

> Misusing the ability of the issue tracker to have attachments as a
> version control systems is IMHO not a good idea.

I vote Bernd for president!

Yes, I agree with you 100%, absolutely.

I strongly believe that you should use the appropriate tool for each job.
IssueZilla is based on BugZilla which was designed for tracking bugs.
Adding files was a nice "addon" to help people explain bugs better, by
uploading misbehaving files (for example). IssueZilla is *not* a version
control system.

I think OOo suffers terribly from trying to use IssueZilla for everything.
People mis-use IZ as a version-control system. They mis-use it as a
content management system. It's crazy!

If you have a task that is best done with a VS system, use CVS.
If you have a task that is best done with a CMS, use Plone.
If you have a task that is best done with a wiki, get a wiki.

In the case of art, I would go even further. I'd say even CVS is not
ideal. Sure, version control is "nice", but it's not a terribly important
issue for art. For art, I'd say that simplicty is more important. I think
that a CMS system works best for art.

With a CMS you don't have to generate SSH2 keys, you don't need to get
special software, you don't need to learn a new set of commands. Anyone
who has been using a browser for some time can figure out Plone pretty
quickly. At least enough to go to a folder and upload a file.

Alas, stupid SourceCast doesn't allow us to use Plone.

Oh well, then let's setup a CMS elsewehre. Make a new site. Call it
http://oooart.org. And use it to upload files quickly. Make it the new art
page for OOo.

Cristian, if you're interested, let me know. I'll help you get setup.

> >If the attached work is final and not an intermediate version,
>
> Open Source Philospohy number one: release early release often.
> There is no such thing as canīt be released because itīs not yet final ;-)

+1 !!

Absolutely. Yet another problem at OOo. See my sig:

    "I don't want it perfect, I want it Tuesday"

> You donīt really mean to have the result of the work being just a couple
> of deep-links into attachments for issues, do you?
>
> If there shall be a gallery of downloadable graphics those
> 'final/product' graphics should IMHO be stored completely separtely from
> the issuetracker, shouldnīt they?

+1

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today!  | I want it Tuesday.