Chris BONDE wrote:
I thought that I could find how to do this but could not.
Is there documentation on what to use for non-printing characters?

To look for such "special" chars you must use "regular expressions". There is a checkbox in F&R dialog to indicate you want to use reaular expressions.

Click on help on that dialog, there is an entry for Regular expressions and a "Regular expressions list" that explains teh syntax you may use to specify a search.

There were some comments on finding the end of a para but I did not note.
Into finished now the question:

There is NO search for paragraph marks (like in MS-Word, ^p). Actually, OOo seraches are confined within single paragraphs. You may specify to search at the start of a paragraph (^something) or at the end (something$). ^$ finds empty lines

I have been importing some *.doc files. Then there are a lot of different formating styles that appear and need changing. Underlining, tabs, abbreviations. Best solutions?

For underlining I highlight the whole selection, click on underline once (to underline everything) then twice (to remove all underlining).

For tabs I have to find then DELETE each one, then replace with a space. Is there a way to do with such FIND and REPLACE? I could not find.

You are lucky, this is an easy search: look for "\t"

Next, is the removal of periods after CAPS for abbreviations. Such as F. R. I need to change to F R (say for Find & Replace) or T. M. C. to T M C.

I have no easy cue here.

Have a look at Tools>Autocorrection (or Automatic correction, I'm using OOo in spanish and menu names are not the same). There you can definen a list of abbreviations to translate, also a number of optiosn to , for instance, eliminating paragraphs in DOS-text (with end paragraphs on each line end), manage capitals an so on. I am not an expert on that, but if I had to convert a lot of files I will study that carefully.

- Enrique -