I have been watching the development of OOo over the past year, and I am
very impressed.  Since I teach a writing intensive course, I point my
students toward this product if they do not have or they cannot afford a
commercial office suite.  In the coming year, I will expand the scope of
one upper division course to include spreadsheet and presentation
assignments.  OOo will help my students immensely.  I think the OOo
community is certainly on the right track.

As I tinker with the OOo Writer, I have a couple of quick suggestions:
First, it would be really nice to have a special "symbol font" button to
post on the toolbar next to the super- and subscript buttons (as in the
MS Word package).  As a scientist, I find myself often needing to insert
a Greek symbol, and the hassle of changing fonts is annoying if you have
several symbols to insert.  If it exists in OOo, I have yet to find it.
Second, a "strikethrough" button would also be useful on the formatting
toolbar.

Wishlist for sometime down the road:  As OOo continues to grow, I look
forward to the presentation of an enhanced HTML editor module with
idiot-proof capabilities.  A true WYSIWYG web page builder would really
be a killer app.  I just can't seem to make my test pages look right
when viewed with IE.

Now for some glowing reviews:  As a long-time MS Office user, I have no
difficulty with the OOo interface layout.  It's pretty much intuitive,
and the look is very appealing.  The rudimentary page layout/DTP
capability of this package is very welcome and the PDF export capability
is going to come in very handy for an upcoming project!  Thanks for all
of the great work.

Darrell L. Ray, Ph.D.

Department of Biological Sciences

314 Brehm Hall