I sent this before but it didn't seem to go through

On 17 Mar 2005 at 5:54, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> > Open Office CAN NOT do page numbers.  With a book project I needed Pages > i,ii, ... at the
> beginning and page 1, 2, ... later!!!
>
> Yes it can.
>
> If you take a look at the OOoAuthors user guides you will see that this is exactly what we have. The
> first page has no page number. The following 2 pages have Roman numerals (i, ii) and the following
> pages have Arabic numbers (1, 2, ...).
>
> Take a look:
>
> http://oooauthors.org/groups/authors/userguide/writerguide/IntroStyles.sxw
>
> This is the "Intro to Styles" chapter. Not only does it use the feature you ask about, it also
> explains how to do it (see the section on page styles).

"Intro to Styles" states
Page numbering
Many people first encounter page styles when they want to number pages. OpenOffice.org (OOo) has a very powerful system for numbering pages, but to make full use of it you need to learn something about page styles.

It is true that it is a powerful system for page numbering. However, it is complicated and completely non-intuitive. Every other word processor I have used has a simple button on the menu to turn page numbering on or off, which is all I need most of the time. Open Office doesn't. It is difficult to figure out how to use what should be a simple on or off feature. Not everyone needs to set up complex styles  just to use a simple function that other  word processors do in on step.

- -
Larry Gusaas,
Moose Jaw, Sask.
http://members.shaw.ca/lgusaas/