What gave me the impression was that the interactions betweean application and
the Windows OS is based on OLE and not appropriate process. Remember that the
kernel does not police applications, and how they communicate with eachother.
It only protects itself and its child components(the windows core)

This is primarily a windows concern, but I've watched the Yahoo! Desktop Search
hunt through encripted files, index them, and even allow the user to parse them
for relevant data.

Is there any way to prevent reading of these encrypted files for OOo, so that
only OOo can read them? Or so that some kind of decryption algorythm needs to
present during the opening process so that the file can not only be
un-encrypted, but also so that it can actualy be accessed.

I heard of a technology a while ago, that when written into a file, without the
reader the system would assume the file was only several bites in length and
then the rest of the file would be un-registered with the OS indexing
technology.

I'm just tossing around ignorance here. Sorry folks. Not my field of expertise
really. Just doing my part to hunt down holes.

Rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:02:40 -0500, Lars D. Noodén wrote:
>
>>I think he may be looking for assurance that OOo has good encryption.
>
> Of course a valid concern. To me it sounded (and I may be totally wrong
> on this) like he thought that the Google SDK was able or could be
> enabled to read documents without knowing the password, and I wondered
> what gave him the impression.

we're all guessing here, but could this concern be related to recent
talks about security problems with system wide indexing engines that
indexed secret information so that it was later available without
adequate access control ?

is there any possibility that google toolbar could fech an encrypted
file contents while it is opened or by any other means ? i don't believe
it could, but weird things happen.
--
Rich