Lars D. Noodén wrote:
> OOo and OpenDocument both get a mention towards the middle of the article:
>
>  Nigel McFarlane.  "Firefox explorers." The Age.  22 Mar 2005.
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/03/21/1111253920087.html?oneclick=true
>

>     ... "I'm staggered and close to offended that some
>     businesses choose the risk of vendor lock-in, and I'm
>     staggered by the timidity of some IT managers," he says.

I think the problem is that nobody wants to be the manager who
recommended software that was later found out to have some
incompatibility with MS file formats, the format that 98% of the rest of
the business world uses.

I have OOo installed on my laptop and love it (don't tell my workstation
support group though or they'll remove it as "unsupported software").
When I buy my new XP home PC this week, OOo will be installed and not MS
or Corel. But I wouldn't dare save a shared document at work with it. I
haven't come across file format problems yet but I don't want to be the
one responsible for corrupting a file that 20 other people are using and
have to explain why I was using OOo instead of Word or Excel to my boss.