Hi Daniel,

Since Solaris has been open sourced, why switch to Linux? Just curious
really. is there a difference in support costs or something? Or are
there apps that run on Linux but not Solaris?

We need to replace these computers, and we want to go to x86 hardware because it's cheaper. Since we're already replacing computers, the relative effort of a Linux migration is much lower.

Besides, where do get a free Solaris distro anyways?

If you mean free as in beer, the point to get Solaris 10, either for SPARC or x86 architectures, is http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp. I'm not sure about the precise state of the freedom as in speech at the moment.

Cyrille