Christian Einfeldt wrote:

> > http://native-lang.openoffice.org/conference/instructions/
>
> Thanks for these instructions.

:-)

> > Hopefully these will lower the barrier for people wanting to
> > participate in the IRC talks.
>
> I have a few small issues with the instructions.  Starting with
> instruction zero is funny and cool.  It mimics the Richard Stallman
> method of numbering his four freedoms.

There are a lot of contexts where arrays start at zero. Math sequences,
programming,
etc. So it's not uncommon. And it's a bit funny to apply the same notation to
lists.

> However, IMHO, starting with zero confuses people.

I would be surprised if anyone really has trouble with this. Unless they are
from
the Piraha NL. But if they are, they will struggle with the number 4 too.  :-)

Tell you what, if one more person tells me that this is an issue, then I'll
change
it. Sounds good?

> Also, I am probably going to have to use Jabber.  I have never been
> able to get Gaim or Gabber to work for me.

There are instructions for Chatzila now. One good thing about Chatzilla is that
installation is a heck of a lot easier. Click on the link I gave. When the
install
is complete, close your browser and start it again. And voila! it's installed.

> Frankly, though, that's not an issue for me, personally, because I don't
> usually
> participate in chats.  I don't know why.  I guess they still seem a little
> bit
> too unfamiliar for me.

Try it out. Maybe you'll like it.

> But you might want to let SuSE users know that they can use Jabber,
> too.  I have used it about three times, and I was actually able to
> get it working.

Uhhmm... they can't. This is an IRC conference. Jabber is a different protocol.

The reason why I'm going for IRC is that it is already used by a lot of OOo
people,
it's another open protocol, and I'm not sure it's more difficult to setup than
Jabber.

But in any event, try the Chatzilla instructions. One of the reasons why I
decided
to add them is that Chatzilla should work for most people. If you have Firefox
(and
who doesn't ;) you can install Chatzilla with one click.

> I think that your instructions are good, though.  IMHO, we need more
> dirt simple instructions like this on the OOo site.  I have added a
> link here:

Thank you Christian.  :-)

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today!  | I want it Tuesday.