CPHennessy wrote:
On Tuesday 15 March 2005 21:46, Daniel wrote:

I created a document using OOoWrite 1.9.84 and inserted characters from
the character map such as lower-case theta, lower-case sigma, lower-case
delta.  The characters appeared fine in OOo.  I saved the document in
Word Format.  When I opened the document with MSWordXP, the characters
appeared as other characters.  When I corrected the characters in MSWord
and reopened the document in OOo, the characters again showed up
incorrectly.
Is this a known issue?

Daniel, In case it is not a know issue can you please report this in issuezilla ? ( http://openoffice.org -> "Register", then when you receive a confirmation email, "Login" and "File an issue" )
In this way the relevant developers will see your bug report and you will also see the progress of this bug report if it is accepted.

I just tried the following, using 1.9.87 and WordPad on WinXP SP2:

In OOo, inserted using Insert->Special Character..., the sequence (things in brackets are symbols):

delta theta sigma<ctrl-enter>

Saved as MS Word 97/2000/XP

Opened same with WordPad; opened CharacterMap, inserted same sequence of characters at end of file, tried to save. WordPad said it could not save in current format, must save as RTF, so I did that.

Opened RTF file, which appeared perfectly normal. Perhaps 1.9.87 is better than 1.9.84 in this respect?

Opening the RTF in Notepad, I noticed that the character codes for the two instances are not quite the same: the first delta has code \u948, while the second is \'e4. The other two characters are the same in both instances: \'e8\'f3.

I changed the first character to the same code as the second, and saved, then opened it in OOo. The character I changed <delta> now appears as an "a" with diaeresis (umlaut). Perhaps that is what you saw?

Matt Needles