Claus Agerskov wrote:
Earlier this month Peter Knudsen ask for engineering notation in Calc.

In issue 5930 the registred OpenOffice.org user nn wrote this:

Actually the total number of integer digits, "#" and "0", is counted. "0.00E+00" and "#.00E+00" are equivalent, and "###.0E+00", "##0.0E+00" and "000.0E+00" all force the exponent to multiples of 3 (with the last one adding leading zeros - after all, leading zeros without modifying the exponent are quite useless)."##0.0E+0" is among the default formats in XLS file format.

That's how it's supposed to be, and how it's handled elsewhere. We don't have support for engineering number formats yet. This remains an open enhancement issue, and I (nn, that's me) added that comment to clarify what we need to do.

Niklas