Rod Engelsman wrote:
John W. Kennedy wrote:
Rod Engelsman wrote:
John W. Kennedy wrote:

Why, o why, o why, o why, o WHY can we not have a simple "do
not break" character attribute?????

I'm working right now on transcribing an 18th-century document
full of "Mr. S----h" and the like (actually, that's two em
dashes), and I can find absolutely no way to prevent "S----h"
being broken if it happens to hit the end of a line. All I can
do is manually pad out the line with extra spaces until the
whole thing falls off onto the next line -- but if I should
need to alter the margins, or make a correction to the text, I
have to do the whole thing over again.

You can insert a non-breaking dash using Shift+Ctrl+(minus sign).
 Does that do what you want?

That's a hyphen, not a dash.

Yeah, I know. It's an en-dash, not an em-dash. I thought maybe it
might work for you. Too bad it doesn't.  :(

No, it's a hyphen.

U+002D (hyphen/minus)           short
U+2010 (true hyphen)            short
U+2011 (non-breaking hyphen)    short
U+2012 (en-dash)                long
U+2013 (em-dash)                longer
U+2014 (horizontal bar)         longest
U+2212 (true minus)             short

Has an issue been filed? I would vote for it. It couldn't show up
until v 2.1 at the earliest, but the idea definitely has merit.

46414

--
John W. Kennedy
"You can, if you wish, class all science-fiction together; but it is about as perceptive as classing the works of Ballantyne, Conrad and W. W. Jacobs together as the 'sea-story' and then criticizing _that_."