Ian Lynch wrote:

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 00:33, Chad Smith wrote:

Snip major RANT

If these little Free Software Freaks want it Java-free (pun intended) then "SHOW ME THE CODE".

How to win friends and influnece people ;-)

Why should we give a d*** about placating people who will never like us and never help us anyway?

Because they are people. In fact Free Software freaks are the reason why OpenOffice.org exists. Without them no FLOSS movement would have ever started. As a bit of a free software freak myself, I take exception to the fact you think I don't help the project ;-)

Take away the acid in Chad's response and he has the point. OpenOffice.org is an open source project and there are opportunities for motivated people and organizations to supply the parts in question in C++, or in their language of choice.

A certain amount of chafing is healthy and the uncompromising objectives of Free Software are to be admired and essential. I want to remind people to be mindful that the Java solutions are efficient to produce for a cross-platform product (Sun, after all, has not unlimited resources), there is merit to this approach, and many users--individual and organized--find this to be more than adequate. The functionality is there, for which I (among many others) am thankful.

Let's be thankful for Sun's effort, and also move with celerity to finding people who are willing to do much heavy lifting to plug the holes. Do keep in mind there are a lot of undocumented pieces floating around in Linux, for example; so it's a bit cynical to be impuning Sun's motivations or their character on this.

There's Good, there's Bad and there's What Works.

Bruce Byfield's piece was thorough and clear, and extremely helpful!

-Sam