Hello Sid,

> new guy here, where can I go to read more about this IRC program and its
> capabilities and merits?

IRC is not a 'program' but a protocol. There are many possible client programs.
Just like 'the web' is a protocol, and there are many possible browsers like
Firefox, Opera, Safari, Netscape, Mozilla, Galeon, Konqueror... you get it.

IRC is a 'chat' protocol. Kind of like the grand daddy of ICQ and AIM.

I wrote instructions using two popular chat programs (Chatzilla and Gaim):

http://native-lang.openoffice.org/conference/instructions/

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today!  | I want it Tuesday.