Le vendredi 08 avril 2005 Ã 23:15 -0700, Chris BONDE a Ãcrit :
> Nicolas:
> Comments below
>
> > Le vendredi 08 avril 2005 Ã  11:23 -0700, Chris BONDE a ÃÂcrit :
> > > Right ON!
> > >
> > > Similar questions from brochure to newsletters to booklets have been
> > > asked.
> > >
> > > Chris

> > A real dtp mode would be better. Publisher sucks, but dtp itself is so
> > much more powerful than word processing. Had publisher and word been
> > published at the same time, I'm not so sure word would not be the ugly
> > office duckling now. Of course word processing can work in text mode,
> > so by the time publisher was feasible word was already well
> > established at Microsoft.

> I am not sure what you are suggesting or are you just making a comment?
> I am also lost on what a "...real dtp mode ..." is?

Basically what some people (me included) call a real dtp is an app where
you can edit your text without having to think about its formating and
when your text is ready you have another mode where you format it (much
like a newspaper where journalists write articles and only then are they
attributed a column somewhere). A two-step system not a one-step one.

Even if in theory you could do the same with a one-step interface like
writer's one, the fact is since it puts formatting controls in the user
face I've never seen anyone who could finish working on its text without
being tempted by formating. For any big document (either big in terms of
text length or in terms of presentation complexity) mixing writing and
formating is very bad in terms of human workflow. Writing requires a
local view. Formating/presenting requires a global one. Try to do both
and you get the kind of confused word documents that are typical
nowadays.

This is actually similar to the various impress views. Real complex
formatting requires mode separation, because :
1. when you get to this stage you actually want to be able to completely
reformat the same text easily (a corporation brochure will have to be
redone every time its design team changes the company logo and colours)
2. heavy graphical work makes it difficult to work on the text - when
you have text frames all over the place doing editorial work without a
flat view is no fun.

> I think that what I would like to suggest is how can I use OOo to accomplish
> the
> various things, such as what publisher can do, as brochures, booklets,
> newsletter,
> organizations announcements (3 fold letter) etc.

This would let you create more or less the same output as a real dtp
app. Just like you can use any bitmap editor to create the same graphs
as a graph editor with object libraries and various helpers. This does
not change your bitmap editor into a proper graph editor overnight.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot