Diane Mackay said the following on :

Steve Kopischke wrote:

Diane:

What are your thoughts?

oldgnome

Hi oldgnome (way cool name by the way!),

Thanks. It comes from a time when I took 16 of my employees on a ropes course team-building exercise. I was 20+ years older than almost all of them and significantly shorter than most, even though I'm average height at 5'9". With my bald head, gray hair and gray beard, in the team picture I looked like a...well....

The issue tracker works as a good place to attach files for collaboration
too.... but some folks aren't comfy with it. In my mind, using either the Issue
Tracker or OOoAuthors is a learning process, so why not learn the OpenOffice.org
tools? But, there is choice, which sometimes is cool, until you are standing in
front of 5 flavors of bengay ointment... Times were easier when there was one!

I guess I was looking for a brainstorming tool for diagramming purposes to uses with the folks with the help desk expertise you mentioned a few messages ago. I might just not be following, but can the Issue Tracker serve that purpose? I was hoping for something interactive, rather than asynchronous, but I think anything we do will help.

I can send some pretty detailed instructions to run the Issue Tracker if anyone
needs them. (They actually live in the FAQs that Peter pointed to earlier. I may
also have another blurb that could help that I can dig off my hdd, but maybe I
incorp'd that into the info posted in the FAQs. I can't remember.) Actually the
Issue Tracker is a handier tool than OOoAuthors, because those interested can
add themselves to the cc field, and then when updates occur on the issue report,
they will be notified via email.

Detailed instructions would be a big help. Feel free to send them to me anytime.

The user-faq project is or was the support project, but they changed its name a
while back. If you assign the issue to that project, we won't be pestering
developers with the traffic either... I think that's what I would do... User-faq
is a fairly quiet project so far.

I think following your lead on a number of the housekeeping details is the right thing to do. I don't mean to imply *you* are the housekeeper, but you seem to know more than anyone else the right place for "stuff." I would be happy to take a documentation role, since that's one of my current strengths.

I have an April 15 deadline for some work I have yet to begin.... (Yikes!) Can
you guys run with this? I promise to pop in here and there, when I need a break
from it, and I'll come back as soon as I'm done, I promise. I'm very sorry to do
this, but it's pretty important stuff.... And I must do it. It seems the last
few days or weeks have been insanely busy from all directions. I need to go
quiet for a bit. Again I'm very sorry, but I promise to come back to it,
especially if it's needed... I hope you will understand.

No problem. Take care of your deadline. I'm *pretty sure* this issue will still be here after the weekend. :) Besides, I am traveling tomorrow and Friday is pretty busy for me, since I will be home for the first time in three weeks.

If you use the issue tracker, feel free to put my name in the cc field. My OOo
user name is mackmoon. If it's a hurdle to run, holler on the lists, and
hopefully folks will help you drive the thing. I know some folks struggle with
it, but it's pretty slick once you get used to it.

Thanks. I think we have made good progress this week in getting the issue from the users list to where we can begin working it.

oldgnome