On Monday 11 April 2005 20:17, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> Hi
>
> this is a good opportunity to market OOo to non-profits which are
> showing up to look at FLOSS solutions.  I am going to be going to
> this even tomorrow in Oakland, CA, USA.
>
> http://bayarea.penguinday.org/

So I did go to this event, and I'm very glad that I did.  I'll be
writing an article for MadPenguin.org about the experience.

For the purposes of this list, I wanted to thank John Lorance of
Compumentor for doing a great "speed geek" demo of OOo for the 50
or so people who were present at the event.  Speed geeking is the
practice of dividing a larger group up into a series of small
groups, who then rotate from booth to booth for a brief and intense
intro into the software.  John Lorance handled the OOo table.  He
did a great job of showcasing OOo 2.0.  I would strongly recommend
that our marketing leads consider partnering with Aspiration for
the purpose of promoting these events.

www.aspirationtech.org

OOo is really best when presented in a mix of other FOSS apps to
non-profits.  This event was a great step toward getting OOo in
front of a natural group of users.

Open source and non profits are a natural mix, and so Dan Gun (aka
Gunner) and Kartin Verclas have done a brilliant job of bringing
non-profits together with FOSS advocates.  Some of the software
shown there was simply brilliant as well.

This event was also a personal landmark for me because I got to meet
Oso Martin (accent over the i not possible in kmail), who is the
founder of Freegeek.org.  I love free geek because it combines the
education of software libre with recycling old computers and
repurposing old computers.  Free Geek basically installs debian and
OOo on computers and gives them away.  How good is that?

Christian Einfeldt
415-351-1300