Thanks, Bernd. That clears up a lot to me. Apparently the bug in MS-Windows was being misunderstood by the end user.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Bernd Eilers wrote:
If I recall it correctly the reason for this was that OOo was just "only!" simply asking the system for it´s hostname on startup. Unfortunatly that system library call in turn on Windows caused the OS to initialize the internet connectivity with the ISP if it was not already online.
[...]
And YES, this "unnecessary" behavior has been eliminated in OOo a long time ago.

Lars Nooden ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) Software patents harm all Net-based business, write your MEP: http://wwwdb.europarl.eu.int/ep6/owa/p_meps2.repartition?ilg=EN