adrian Greeman wrote:

> It was clearly my own fault for not setting up the autosave when I changed
> versions recently - I was using 83 I think. (I used to set it in 1.1.4)
> Anyway I have just reset in the 1.9.93 version and notice there is both
> "always save back copy" and "save auto recovery information" to tick.
> Several questions -
> What is the difference?

"AutoSave" creates a temporary copy of the document without overwriting
it in its original location, so it's more an "AutoCopy" feature.

If OOo crashes, it addtionally tries to create a more current Copy in
the same place if the document has been modified after the last created
"auto copy". This is an extension to the "AutoSave" feature that to my
knowledge no other application has (OOo and even the "old" StarOffice
has this since many years).

"Creating backup" is something that happens when you explicitly save
your document: a backup of the *previous* version is created then.

> Why not make save auto recovery the default state and untick it to save
> capacity? (I assume it is something to do with memory demand or processor
> demand but cannot deduce exactly what.)

It *is* the default after installation.

> What difference does the time interval have on computer capacity ie if I
> choose every three minutes what is the change from every 15 minutes? (While
> in beta I think I'll for every 15 seconds!!)

You should consider that saving OOo documents is not the fastest
operation. :-)

So a 15 minutes time intervall looks like a good compromise. If you feel
the need to really save your work (not "copy" it) at some point in time
or you did a big change on your document and don't want to wait for the
next AutoSave time interval to end there's nothing that prevents you
from pressing "CTRL-S" to save explicitly. Using "with backup" keeps a
copy of your previous document version, but you can also use the
versioning feature of OOo to keep several versions *inside* your document.

> Finally would it be a good thing to draw to people's attention to backup
> needing to be switched on when they first set up the programme ie in some
> initial helper screen that would explain to "duh" types like me why it might
> be important (I don't like the term Wizard) and offer them the boxes to
> tick? [Perhaps in with the file associations one when you re-write that?]

"Backup" is not a feature that should be turned on automatically without
notice, I assume there would be complaints about "unnecessary" disk
space usage. Placing a hint somwhere wouldn't be a bad idea - but
where?! Perhaps we could use the startup wizard for asking users about
some configuration settings that we think are important and need
attention of the user (not only this one). The wizard is shown anyway,
having an additional page wouldn't hurt that much (in the worst case you
can just click it away), but possibly help a lot.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.