Daniel Carrera wrote:
[...]
I recently suggested that we could have a "testing" branch (name inspired by Debian). It'd be something between "stable" and "development". Right now, "stable" gets updated every 3-4 months, and new new features are added. Just bug fixes (some times). "Development" is not beta quality, and it gets updated every week. Maybe we should have a middle point. A "testing" branch that gets updated (say) every 3 weeks. It'd include new features, but yet would be "reasonably stable". Sort of beta quality.

What do you think?

I think that would go very well. A potential countributor would see their contribution see the light of day a lot sooner. Users would get a "fairly good" product that still incorporates new features fairly quickly. A lot of us would love that. And we have the understanding that the user accepts the increased risk from deviating from the stable branch.

And how do you envision the mechanisms to work for when and how something is integrated into that testing branch while ensuring that it would be "reasonably stable"?

Confused,
Bernd