Mathias Bauer wrote:

[big snip]

"Free" developers very often prefer smaller projects, just because it's
easier to enter them, it's easier to understand them, it's easier to add
own contributions (and get the credits :-)). I think that's quite
understandable and of course it's OK, but that should be seen when we
are discussing contributions to OOo (or the lack of them).

Though nothing you said was wrong, I would like to point out that we must still thrive to make the project as open and as welcomming to people as possible. And there are ways this can be done. I mentioned the idea of a "testing" branch that is less stringent about stability than the development branch. Another thing we can do is encourage people to write macros and extensions. This relates directly to what you said above.

A lot of features can be implemented through extensions. If we made it easier for people to submit and install extensions, we might get a good sub community there. It could take some pressure off from the core project. Think of Firefox, for example. A lot of features are implementeed through extensions. This removes pressure for those features being part of the standard FF download, and encourages people to contribute in a small way.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
Senior Representative
Digital Distribution Global Training Services Pty. Ltd.