Volker Jung wrote:
Perhaps you didnÂt understand the intention behind my posting: I want OO to beat MS...

But I canÂt deny that - just for example - ALL the symbols look like beeing drawn by programmers. IÂm a programmer myself and know that programmers most often donÂt have the inspiration to draw symbols that are able to be liked.

1) Look at 2.0, new ui, is this better?

2) The do something about it. OOo is a community of volunteers. If you don't like it, step up and fix it. OOo can't afford (remember volunteers) to hire graphic artists.

3) Can you be A LOT more specific. Which icons do you find uninspirational?

By the way: I follow the development of OO since the days of StarOffice beeing under the control of Star...

Then, I can only assume, that you have downloaded one of the snapshots.

NOTHING has changed since years (despite functionality, but thatÂs NOT all a program needs to reach the masses). For example it starts with standard option to draw a grey rectangle around a new "word"-document. I
hate this rectangle because of expecting a WYSIWYG-program. I just donÂt get that silly grey rectangle on any normal piece of paper. This option has to be a additional - not a standard feature. Otherwise you turn a WYSIWYG-program into bullshit that has to be turned into WYSIWYG first... Nothing people really like.

What are you talking about? The grey rectangle shows where the page ends. Isn't that helpful?

And: Please donÂt behave like most people getting confronted with truth: They deny.

Then, please don't behave like most complainers and just complain and insult without specific advice or offering to help.

Maybe many people donÂt see a difference because of beeing blind. There are many people existing that canÂt see a difference between car designs and anyway most really well selling cars have a good design. Also designs can be viewed in some sort of objective manner.

And: Objectively OO lookes like designed by children doing their first steps - not like designed by people who gave their lifes for really nice design...

I would like you to post that statement to the development and art lists please.

OOo is made up of volunteers who give there time for you to have FREE software and this is your response to that?

OOo doesn't look like MS Word, but that is fine, it reminds me that I have abandoned MS Word and it makes me smile. :)

Compare to firefox: Clear, straight, nice. And: They ARE succesful. More succesful than OO. Now ask WHY?

Small download (10 megs vs. 100 megs), more marketing money, less learning curve between IE & FF then between MS Office & OOo, less icons.

There are many reasons why FF has more downloads than OOo, and I don't think icons are among them.
--
Peter Kupfer -- Using OOo since 'OO4 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Want to help? http://www.oooauthors.org