Le dimanche 24 avril 2005 Ã 22:02 +0200, Mathias Bauer a Ãcrit :
> M. Fioretti wrote:
>
> > So you must not click something in ooo that opens an ooo specific
> > program that messes up the system. You must make sure that the
> > _native_ installer can present, in its package selection window, its
> > own label/submenu of "OO.o extensions", pointing to online
> > repositories where the stuff is already in the native format.
>
> I don't want to discuss the pros and cons of our extension installer,
> but I wanted to make clear that the extension installer in OOo doesn't
> "mess up the system" because it doesn't even touch it. It only puts some
> files into the OOo folder in the users home directory. I wouldn't call
> this a mess.

Let's just say that linux users and sysadmins strongly disagree with you
for their own reasons, that they yelled at every single software system
that tried to do this very thing, and that none of the proponents of
this way of working ever managed to convince them it was a good way of
working, and that trying to force the issue will only result in the
app-specific software updater patched out of existence on all
distributions that care about oo.o.

Trying to convince a Windows person we don't care about his nifty
graphical installer is about as easy as convincing a smoker others may
object to his smoking, I hope this time this can be resolved before
people start being agressive (yes we _do_ care about this a lot and we
_won't_ let software distribution get in our way like it does under
windows)

It took a decade but even Microsoft is belatedly realising that
multiplying the ways of installing software is a _great_ recipe for
getting unmanageable systems.

--
Nicolas Mailhot