On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 13:44 -0400, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> Yes. We'd probably have to host this on some other server to keep Sun's
> legal team happy. But that can be arranged.

I agree that it should be separate.  I was thinking of perl CPAN as a
model.

- The whole thing is versioned, there is an automated upgrade from the
central repository once you manually request it.

- There is a website that allows authors to upload new releases of their
package and source at any time with new version numbers.  Authors upload
their new version, signature checked and then it is installed
automatically within minutes of the upload (Debian Linux model)

- There is a description of each package.

- There is a voting mechanism that ensures that quality of module is
public.

- There is a bug tracking mechanism for each module.

- The whole thing is totally separate from the original package.  The
extensions may be GPL because they are not linked.

- They may be distributed with SO / OOo if the packager so desires.

- Installation is simple just request and install, first install talks
about proxies, mirrors, etc to set up machine.

- All downloads are signed and keys stored separately from the download
site.  Signature checking is required and built into the install
application.

- The whole thing should NOT be called macros because of the negative
connotations of macros right now. (Sorry Daniel this is nothing personal
just think from a marketing point of view.)  I prefer extensions.

- Maintainers have the ability to pull an unmaintained extension and
take ownership of it under some rules.

Cant think of anything else sure there are some other things.

--
Ken Foskey
OpenOffice.org developer