Ken Foskey wrote:
Glad to see you turn up Simon.  This whole argument is now just
academic. Caolan has provide a GCJ port that will allow, as I understand
it, all features to run.  Therefore this is really a non-issue for beta
2.0.

Really? Cool. Go Caolan!

This is something we should advertise more. Esp since Caolan is part of the OOo community. Let's talk to Caolan. Maybe someone can write an article roughly saying that the OOo community has worked to ensure that in the few cases where it uses Java, the code will run with just GCJ.

I do think we need to ensure that The SO programmers avoid proprietary
Java extensions in their changes.  I believe that all programmers are
endeavouring to manage this.  This will allow continued GCJ support.

+1

I am not 'anti Java'  I am definitely pro-support on all possible
platforms.  This includes the rather difficult policies of Debian,

That's a very good point, which I wish I had thought of myself. If OOo aims to be a cross-platform as possible, that policy should include non-technical issues.

I have to admit some bias, in that my favourite distribution (Ubuntu -- Debian based) shares the same philosophical opinion on Java. As for myself, I am not ati-Java, let's just say I am pro-FOSS :-)

Cheers,
Daniel.