Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Totally agree. Worth observing that "proprietary" in this case is
defined as "not compatible with the JSRs approved by the JCP" rather
than "not yet implemented by a particular project".

This definition is about as useful as noting the windows port can use any extension already published (including Longhorn stuff). What about the 98/NT4/2000/XP/2003 users ?

Uhhmm... I hope that the Java specs are more stable than those of Windows :-) I thought that spec-stability was supposed to be one of the selling points of Java.

I think that what Kaffe and GCJ are to Java is different from what Wine is to Windows. Very different.

But regardless, though I disagree with your analogy, I do agree that we should stick to features provided by the Free VMs (this opinion is based on the understanding that this is actually feasible). I wonder how Kaffe is doing. It'd be neat if it could support the things OOo needs. Then we chould ship OOo with it and stop harrassing users about Java.

You obviously have no idea what mayhem OO.o 2 java decisions created
linux-side. And you haven't heard the last of it either because so far
a lot of users have not looked at it,

On the other hand, on the Linux side everyone has /heard/ at it, though not /looked/ at it.

But in any event, I do think we'll get a lot of complaints unless we can bundle Kaffe and make it work. But knowing how hard it is to get something added to OOo (my efforts to get clipart included have met repeated failure) I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, one last note, please don't swear. It doesn't help your point.

Cheers,
Daniel.