Okay. I am going to set a particular record straight here. Chad.
You're right, and you're wrong. Jonathon. You're right, and you're...
Sort of wrong.

A: Microsoft Word / Spreadsheet / and OLE formats are based on a
series of TTF font conventions and RTF(Rich Text Format) conventions

B: Microsoft "Writer" uses RTF 3.0

C:
     Microsoft Windows Word 97 uses RTF 3.0
     Word 98 uses RTF 3.5
     Word 2000 uses a fully fledged version of RTF 4.0 but that was a
widespread alteration to the spreadsheet handles and formulas. Forget
opening a 2000 spreadsheet in Writer or Word 97

E: Office XP uses a new propriety format that's not called RTF 5.0.
Now it's called MSD, which is an chute from RTF, and backwardly
compatible with all previous conventions but pathetic at loading old
Word paragraph, footer, header, biblio, and other meta data that was
so elegantly incorporated into 2000 / 97

D: Office 2003 is entirely backward compatible with XP, except that
it's not at all compatible with Office XP. On the one hand, everything
will display fine, but don't try to print, unless you have a limitless
supply of paper. Your printer driver's all need to be upgraded...

Rigel