Hello Sherman,

Thanks for writing and your questions.
OOo is even better than you know. But since it's different is some way's you have to find out first how...

Sherman FitzSimons wrote:

First, all my instructors require page numbers on
every page except the first page.
OOo does this far more better than MsO.
- apply page style 'first page' (Stylist, F11)
- change that style (rightclicking in the Stylist, then tab Organizer) so that the next page has the style Default (for exmple)
- and change that style so that it does show header of footer.

(Different left-right needed ... Use different page styles)

Need to start a new number:
- at the top of a page, choose Format Paragraph;
- tab Text Flow
- Breaks insert
- set page number
(- and choose diff. page style if you need one that you cannot rule with Next Page in the page style properties'.

Another problem involves the
thesaurus. Actually, it's more of an annoyance. I generally right
click words to find similar words in the thesaurus. Hopefully there
will be implementation of this in the future.
I thought it is available for US-English.

Finally, since one
of my majors is Spanish, I constantly must use this language for
papers, and not once since I started using OpenOffice has working in
Spanish been easy. In fact, it's frankly a major pain, and I haven't
gotten it to work from the beginning. Adding the ability to switch
from language to language with ease, such as choosing from a drop-down
menu or clicking to use multiple languages at one time, for spell
check and such would be a dream and would benefit not only language
majors but also charities, organizations, and education facilities
that operate multilingually.
A good way to achieve this:
In the Stylist (there we go again) make a different paragraph for a different language.
I.e. Text Body_Enlish; Text Body_Spanish.
At the tab font you can set the language for each style.

Kind regards & much succes with OOo,

Cor

--
Cor Nouws