I agree that ethics are important.

MS apologists often try to spin the discussion of ethics into a general closed source vs open source debate, which is wrong. There are some very good closed source companies out there, Opera AS being one, which provide an excellent product which works well with others and the company treats its employees very well. So it's not open vs closed source, it's MS vs both open and closed source. If you discuss software ethics, then be prepared to have to steer the debate back to that.

There's a lot that could be explored there. Treatment of employees is one. (see permatemps) Use of the BSA to shake down customers *and* remove competitor's software is another. Use of false advertising and rumors (esp. vs Novell Netware) is there too. Then there are the DOJ vs MS trials with the doctored evidence and perjury by executives. There is also the non-compliance, in spirit, with punishments like the whole vouchers deal as 'punishment' for overcharging the state of California.

Also, there in my experience are quite a few people out there interested in an ethical supply chain, but in the case of ICT, it's a problem where they know of no options except what the vendors and vendor-owned magazines tell them.

I guess two activities are needed: 1) get people informed, 2) get informed people to make a decision. Choosing, even choosing the bad company, is better IMHO than choosing not to decide:

        "Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as
        cooperation with good." - Gandhi

        "All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men
        to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

New Year's and Lent are a long time away, but are there other times people try to give up bad habits?

-Lars
Lars Nooden ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
        Software patents harm all Net-based business, write your MEP:
        http://wwwdb.europarl.eu.int/ep6/owa/p_meps2.repartition?ilg=EN