Paul B. wrote:
Ian Laurenson wrote:

To create a new character style:

F11 to display the stylist
Click the character styles button (second button)
Select a style to base the new style on
Right click > New...
Set the properties, etc.

The character style is stored int he current document. If you wish the
character style to be available in all new documents then you would make
the change to a template and make that template the default. For more
information on using styles see the Writer user guides. The version for
1.9.x is still in draft form (1.9.x hasn't been officially released) and
can be downloaded from:
http://oooauthors.org/en/authors/userguide2/writer/

To assign a key shortcut:

Tools > Customize... > Keyboard
Scroll to the bottom of category and click the + to the left of "styles"
Select Character styles
In Function select the character style
Select the shortcut key
Click Modify
Ok

As OpenOffice.org, by default, doesn't use the Alt key, or longer key
combinations, for shortcuts the range of keys available is a bit
limited. Thus, even in 1.9.x you may want to try my key handler macros.

Thanks, Ian

Thanks much, Ian. Perfect. This process needs to be made redundant via the character styles dialog box. I had checked the Styles and Formatting list, but not the character styles icon. A lot of functions are exclusively buried in those icons, functions which it seems to me should be available in the Organizer.

Paul

Hmm, I was just about to trumpet off about how Paul should have checked in help first but if you input "keyboard shortcuts" there is no mention that you can actually change them yourself! Shurely shome mishtake... OK, so there is the "keyboard customizing" feature in help (also accessible from "customising"), but that is opaque that if I stumbled across it I wouldn't know what it was about.

Who could correct this situation (I should gladly do it if I knew how)?

Ingo