M. Fioretti wrote:

In "Free Software, Free Society", R.M. Stallman "talks about the
perversion of the original intent of patent and copyright law. For
those of us in the US, our constitution states clearly that these are
granted for the benefit of society. Most other countries say something
similar". http://gnu.open-mirror.com/doc/book13.html

I never said anything to the contrary.

Maybe you keep looking only at the majority of a small part of them. I
could sell to you something I made which in itself is extremely
simple, and can be reverse-engineered in seconds. But in practice it
can be manufactured only with some very special machinery. Which I
have no obligation to sell you. I'd patent that machinery. Without patents, then, *if* you are lucky, you can re-invent that
machines in one year, for the common good. Or it may take yoy, say, 10
years. Or, for the common good, we use patents which force me to
explain now what I did and how, and you to wait 5 years, instead of
risking 10.

Then the argument simply shifts to the design of the machine. Spending many years designing your machine in seclusion is less effective than designing it in small steps and sharing those.

Cheers,
Daniel.