Bob Hunter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> you are doing great! Keep going. One thing I may
> suggest is the following. Get inspired from the
> mozilla project, and split the monster into individual
> applications. It will be easier to make progress, port
> to other platforms (e.g. OSX), and improve their
> stability and performance.

Wether OOo consists of one or several applications is only a technical
issue that *per se* does not influence performance, portability or
stability.

The stability argument usually means something different: a crash of one
application does not crash the others - but it does not make OOo
applications crash less often! This is BTW the *only* advantage I can
see in having separate applications.

The portability isn't easier with separate applications: the very fine
grained structure of OOo where platform independent code is encapsulated
into a few modules while the rest of them is mostly platform agnostic is
completely independent of the number of applications built upon these
modules.

Simply splitting into several apps will not improve performance, on the
contrary: starting Calc after Writer will be *slower* for separate
applications because you have to do intitializations a second time and
the memory footprint of separate applications will be higher when you
start more than one module at a time.

Improving startup performance needs more module separation *inside*,
that's independent from the number of applications (processes) that make
up OOo. If you start Writer today you don't load any Calc code - you
just load too much code that Writer *might* need later, but doesn't on
startup - that's a code modularity problem, not an application
modularity problem.

It is important that the applications *feel* like separated ones where
necessary, and that's what we tried to achieve with OOo2.0. We still can
do better, but that's not an issue of having one or several processes.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.