Hi Chad,

Chad Smith wrote:
> On 6/1/05, Mathias Bauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> That's not true. The *sender* of the mail specifies the line length. If
>> you wrap your lines at 72 characters every receiving client will display
>> them in lines with 72 characters.
>
> Not if you get  *descent* mail client.  Every mail client I've ever
> used wraps the email for me if it is not done so already.  You just
> need to stop telling other people how to send emails and get a email
> cleint that works.

You misunderstood this.

Not *I* have a problem, Peter and Morgan where discussing one. I don't
have problems with line length because I *have* a decent client.

Please read more carefully: Morgan said he doesn't see a way to tell
other peoples client about the length of the lines. My answer was as
quoted above and it is correct: if you limit the length of the lines in
your mails no client will show the lines longer as you created them.
This is the only way to inform receiving clients about the line length
you want to use (admittedly one the *maximum* length but that should
suffice here), but it *is* a way.

Mozilla/TB and others indeed wrap long lines (as you said correctly),
but at least TB doesn't do that in the editor when you reply, thus the
question (you might call it a complaint) from Peter.

>> Your mails seem to have very long lines because your client either
>> doesn't wrap at all or you have told it not to do so.
>
> It is his email - he can send it however he pleases.  If it bothers
> you so much - fix your email cleint or get a new one.  You've been
> complaining about this for years now - get a new cleint.

I didn't complain, i just explained why Peter found unwrapped lines in
his editor: because the mail lines from Morgan where limited only by the
paragraph end and Mozilla/TB doesn't wrap the lines here (except if they
are sent as format-flowed, but Morgans mail didn't use that format).

>> it's common and polite practice to cut lines to a decent
>> length. Using 72 characters as a maximum line length (the default in
>> Thunderbird) allows proper quoting of replies even in OE up to quoting
>> level 4.
>
> That's not true at all.   It is decent and polite practice to fix your
> own email reader to work and stop bugging other people about *your*
> problem.

Let me repeat: I wanted to tell how the problem reported by Peter can be
fixed. *I* don't have a problem here. It's only one keystroke in the
editor of Thunderbird to wrap the lines. I can bear this. ;-)

My comment about "common and polite" practice was motivated by
experience: many people still(?) use Outlook Express. If you use it to
reply to messages with very long lines you very often get awful
quotings. Other clients are known to to this also at least sometimes
(KNode, Outlook, IIRC also Sylpheed). You can limit this disaster by
using lines not longer than 72 charactes, even OE is able to handle
this. ;-)

> The world isn't going to change for you.

I can't see that I asked anybody to change anything. I just explained
the common practice layed down in the Netiquette. It's up to everybody
to decide if he wants to follow it, but it should also be acceptable to
mention it. Please note this difference.

> Every email client I've ever touched - Outlook, Thunderbird,
> Netscape, Mozilla, Mail (for OS X) all of them wrap text on
> *incoming* email.  I suggest one of those.

Please check my headers and you can see that I do that already and I do
it since years. Everything clear now?

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.